“Allocation”: A general model of an ecosystem locates positions in the flow of energy and materials to the Sun, atmospheric gases, water, nutrients, plants, decomposers, herbivores, and carnivores. What position would you allocate to human beings?
2. “Locusts or Rats” Given the growth rate of the human population in recent centuries, would locusts or rats be justified in describing human beings as a planetary plague? Why?
Twentieth Century World Population Explosion” Watch the podcast, “Distilled Demographics Mortality Rate” from the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) athttp://www.prb.org/Journalists/Webcasts/2010/distilleddemographics3.aspx
Webliography: Population Reference Bureau http://www.prb.org
Answer the following questions after viewing:
What does the term demography mean?
To view the population pyramids, use the US Census Bureau website at http://www.census.gov.
– Go to People and Households and click on International
– Click on IDB (International Data Base)
– Click on Data Access
– Select Country (Sudan, Japan and the USA)
– Year: 2011
– Click Submit
– Click Demographic Indicators to review the data
– Click Population Pyramid to view pyramids
Use the demographic indicators and the population pyramid to answer the following question:
Given what we have learned about the Earth’s resources, discuss the statement, “There is no limit to Earth’s resources as human ingenuity will tend to solve any shortages.” How does this statement differ from Malthius and his point of view?