- Using the same topic selected in Unit 1, conduct research and write a plan/outline for the research paper you will write a rough draft of in Unit 3. The purpose of your research in this unit is to locate credible sources related to the topic in order to become more informed of arguments and evidence discussed about your topic. Then select appropriate evidence (facts, statistics, quotations, and arguments) to support your thesis and main points in the rough draft that you will write in Unit 3.
To begin the process, use the AIU library databases and online search tools to conduct research and locate five (5) sources related to your issue and thesis statement. Evaluate these sources for timeliness, relevancy, and credibility/authority. Encyclopedia reference books (online or print)or dictionaries can be consulted but should not be used as sources.
Your sources must include:
- 2 scholarly articles from academic or peer reviewed journals
- 1 editorial article from a newspaper or magazine
- 1 book (no book reviews, reference books or general dictionary sources)
- 1 organizational, government or educational Internet source (.org, .gov, or .edu)
The research project plan to be submitted at the end of this week (Unit 2) must contain the following parts:
- Thesis statement (argument claim)
- Topic outline of supporting points, including details for each point
- Annotated bibliography including five referencecitations in APA documentation format, eachfollowed bya brief summary paragraph: In your own words, write a two-three sentence summary of each source’s main point and identify key expert views or evidence which will help support specific points in your outline.