For this essay, I want you to choose a non-profit charitable organization and research it. Then I want you to argue or persuade me to donate a large sum of money to your organization.
1. Who or what does the organization support?
2. Who runs it? Does it have a governing board or an elected leadership board? Is it ran by volunteers or paid employees?
3. What is the breakup of funds? (where does the money go?)
4. What services does the organization offer?
5. What are some of the organization’s successes? Failures?
Argument: (Think of “Shark Tank” here!)
1. Why is this organization so important? (why should I care about it?)
2. What is the overall goal or purpose of the organization? (The big picture)
3. Did you use all 3 appeals in your argument? (ethos, logos, pathos)
4. Can you effectively support your claims with hard evidence? (statistics, examples, facts, data, graphs, testimony, witnesses, etc.)
5. Did you use qualifiers?
6. Did you acknowledge other viewpoints and prepare for rebuttals?
7. Is your tone formal?
8. Is your argument free from any fallacies?
1. What will I get out of donating to this organization? What are the advantages?