In the King Arthur section of our textbook, read all included sections of Thomas Malory’s text:
- III, “How Arthur Gat His Sword Excalibur”
- X, “Sir Launcelot of the Lake”
- XI, “A Night-Time Adventure of Sir Lancelot”
- XIII, “The Knight, the Lady, and the Falcon”
- XXVII, “Sir Galahad at the Castle of the Maidens”
- XXXI, “How Sir Lancelot Found the Holy Grail”
- XXXVII, “How Sir Lancelot Departed from the King and from Joyous Gard”
- XL, “Of Arthur’s Last Great Battle in the West”
Please also skim through the expanded summaries of all the interim chapters and of the final chapters of the text that are found at Arthurian-Legend.com.
Arthurian Heroes and the Fall of Camelot
After reading the assigned sections of Thomas Malory’s Morte Darthur (called “King Arthur” in our textbook) and the summaries of the interim chapters at Arthurian-Legend.com, respond to both of the following questions:
- We’ve read a few sections of Thomas Malory’s Morte Darthur now, and these sections tell us about the feats and accomplishments of few of the main Arthurian heroes. Use the main figures in our reading–Arthur, Lancelot, and Galahad–to come up with a basic definition of the Arthurian hero. What seem to be the main defining traits as we’ve seen them in these sections of the Morte? Bring in quotations from the reading to support your answer.
- In the last section of the reading, we see the final fallout from the Arthur-Guinevere-Lancelot love triangle. How do we end up reading the three main characters in this section? Is any one person really to blame for the fall of Camelot? Make sure to consider Lancelot’s conflicting loyalties as both Arthur’s vassal and Guinevere’s pledged knight–remember that Lancelot and Guinevere’s relationship is not just a matter of misplaced attraction. Bring in quotations from the reading to support your answer; you may also use information from the summaries of chapters that were not assigned.
Please divide your response into paragraphs for easier reading, and make sure to reference, paraphrase, or quote specific passages from the text to support your reading (and cite the passages using MLA citation format). Also remember that required discussion boards are multi-part assignments; your initial, 300-600 word PLEASE NO PLAGIARISM THANK YOU