Paper #3: Compare/Contrast
In three to five double-spaced, typewritten pages, compare and/or contrast ONE of the following themes in TWO of the texts we have read this semester.
- Family relationships (for example, in The Sound and the Fury and Are you my Mother?)
- What it means to be an outsider (For example, in Othello and Between the Acts)
- Form (for example, The Sound and the Fury and Maus II)
- Cultural difference (for example, in The Joy Luck Club and Maus II)
- Time (relationship of past to present in, for example, The Sound and the Fury and The Joy Luck Club).
As with the first two papers, you should focus on analysis and argument not summary.
Form requirements are the same are for the first two papers. Please refer to those prompts.
Academic Honesty: You need to understand plagiarism and its consequences. Please consult the URI Student Handbook about academic honesty and related issues. The penalty for plagiarism is a zero for the assignment and possible failure for the course. The Longman Handbook offers extensive help on matters of plagiarism and how to acknowledge source material. If you need more help understanding when to cite something or how to make your references clear, PLEASE ASK.