Kindergarten Curricular Goals. On page 261 of our text, Otto (2010) lists the following five curricular goals:
1. Increase children’s ability to communicate orally in instructional and conversational settings.
2. Encourage an awareness of the purposes of reading and writing.
3. Increase vocabulary through conceptual development.
4. Increase listening comprehension.
5. Increase children’s awareness of the process of communicating by using written language.
Given the ability of a kindergartner and his/her language development, what kinds of activities would be appropriate to support each goal? Provide evidence supporting your activity choices. If possible, recall your own personal experience in kindergarten and relate activates that enhanced your own language development