Many would argue that one of the most influential pieces of legislation passed to date is the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII of this act prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. It is critical for managers and employees in organizations to have an understanding of equal employment opportunity (EEO) laws to ensure that both employees and managers are protected.
During your third week as the elementary division manager at a toy company, the company attorney notifies you that a former employee has filed a claim against the company under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, constructive discharge, after a work schedule policy change. The employee, who quit after the policy change took effect, is alleging that the enforcement of the company’s new policy on shift work is discriminatory because the policy requires employees to work on a religious holy day. In the past, production employees worked Monday through Friday. As a result of company growth, the production schedule was changed at the beginning of the new year, requiring employees to work 12-hour shifts with four days at work and then four days off. The four work days can occur any day of the week, Monday through Sunday. The entire production staff is required to work this rotating shift. Office staff members, however, work from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
In order to keep legal costs down, the CEO has asked you to do the initial research on how the company should respond to the employee’s
Prepare a memo for the CEO in which you summarize your findings by doing the following:
A. Explain how constructive discharge as a legal concept is relevant to the scenario.
areas covered under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that are relevant
to the scenario.
how the company should respond to the employee’s charge of constructive
three legal references supporting your
2. Recommend steps to avoid legal issues around Title VII of
the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
D. If you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
RJDT2 TASK 2
In light of recent
corporate scandals, the question has been raised whether an effective, enforced
ethics program could have impacted the outcome of such massive instances of
unethical corporate behavior. Because of the increased scrutiny of the actions
of corporations and those who act on behalf of organizations, there has been
additional attention placed on the ethical actions within organizations. Many
organizations have responded to this increased scrutiny by establishing formal
ethics programs to foster ethical decision making for business directors,
officers, and employees. Effective ethics programs provide the opportunity for
management to establish a culture that establishes ethical behavior, both inside
and outside of the organization, as the business strives to eliminate unethical
Two weeks after you are hired as the
elementary division manager by a toy company, you receive a memo from the
manager of the quality assurance department. During routine testing, the quality
assurance department identified a problem with one of the toys included in the
elementary toy collection. The primary market for the elementary toy collection
is elementary schools. A metal whistle that is included in the toy collection
did not pass testing due to small traces of lead. The amount of lead included in
the whistles was slightly above the U.S. legally acceptable limits for children
ages 7 and younger. A large shipment of the elementary toy collection is
scheduled to be shipped to schools in South America at the end of the week, just
in time for the beginning of the school year. The approximate cost to reproduce
the product and repackage the toy collections is
A. Prepare a memo for the CEO and the executive team in which you
do the following:
1. Present three possible decision alternatives to address
the problem regarding the whistles.
a. Explain the process or method that you used for selecting
each of the alternatives.
b. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each alternative.
c. Discuss the financial, legal, and ethical considerations of each alternative.
2. Recommend one of the three possible decision alternatives.
a. Justify your recommendation.
b. Analyze how your recommendation could affect customer relationships.
c. Discuss the role of social responsibility in your decision-making process.
B. Prepare a report on the importance of ethical decision making to be presented to the CEO and board of directors at the board meeting in which you do the following:
1. Discuss two strategies that the company could adopt to ensure that ethical decision making takes place at all levels of the organization.
2. Explain how the company could benefit from a code of ethics.
3. Analyze a code of ethics for another company of your choice to determine the components that are important to include in the development of a code of ethics.
Note: You may conduct a search online to find another company’s code of ethics to analyze. It is not necessary for the company to be another toy company.
C. If you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
In preparation for the board of directors meeting, the chief executive officer (CEO) has asked you to prepare a strategy for maximizing the use of human resources. The CEO pointed out several issues that should be covered as part of the human resources presentation. First, the CEO is concerned about results from a recent employee survey that indicated many employees did not receive regular performance evaluations. Employees complained about the lack of a regular performance appraisal system. Second, managers pointed out that there was not a process for assessing the work of teams, which are an important part of organizational success. Third, at the last board meeting, the directors asked for a report on how the company might implement succession planning.
Create a multimedia presentation (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote) (suggested length of 12–15 slides) in which you do the following:
Note: The slides in your presentation should include only the main points you wish to make, with more extensive information included in
the presenter notes section of the presentation. Each of the prompts below should be discussed on a separate slide with corresponding presenter notes.
A. Explain the benefits of performance appraisal systems within an organization in which you address the following:
1. Present the optimal results of a well-prepared and well-delivered performance appraisal
2. Recommend preappraisal activities that ensure there are performance appraisal processes that are beneficial to the employee and the company.
3. Recommend postappraisal activities that ensure there are performance appraisal processes that are beneficial to the employee and the
4. Illustrate what can go wrong when giving feedback.
5. Discuss steps that a manager might take when delivering a performance appraisal for optimal value.
6. Discuss the benefits to the company of working with employees to further their career goals.
B. Discuss the evaluation of teams within an organization in which you address the following:
1. Summarize research on effectively assessing team performance.
2. Recommend a strategy for the company to adopt to assess team performance.
3. Illustrate the differences between evaluating team performance and individual performance.
C. Discuss the concept of succession planning with an organization in which you address the following:
1. Present reasons for adopting succession planning.
2. Discuss how succession planning can be used by the given company.
3. Illustrate a succession planning process for the company.
D. Present a summary of the presentation in which you address the following:
1. Present a conclusion reiterating key points.
2. Recommend steps the CEO and board of directors should take to implement the key points covered in the presentation.
E. Include presenter notes for each slide.
Note: Presenter notes may be included either in the notes section of your presentation or may be in a word-processing document.
F. If you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: Please save word-processing documents as *.rtf (Rich Text Format) or *.pdf (Portable Document Format) files.