Popular culture isn’t just for fun. It says a lot about our society and influences us in many ways (as you’ve hopefully come to realize by writing your pop culture memoir). What do you want to know about pop culture?
For this assignment, you will begin with a cultural “text.” Your possible scope for this project includes a wide variety of things: advertisements, viral videos, magazines, toys, theme parks, fast food, professional sports, television shows, movies, books, art, fashion, comics, celebrities, music, etc. You should view or in some other way consume this artifact and pay attention to and make notes on how it reflects social and/or cultural issues like age, race, gender, class, religion, politics, scientific theory, engineering, or similar (approved) topics. This text will be your jumping off point, and you may or may not wind up heavily using your original text(s) in your paper.
What I want you to do is select an issue or topic that you care about. Do choose something that is being discussed (i.e. has been documented) and that will allow you to continue the conversation, extending it in some way. That is to say, in this assignment you will be an inventor, constructing a new argument that doesn’t just reproduce arguments made by others, but rather engages with existing arguments from your particular angle. You’re trying to make some meaning here.
You are free to change your topic at any point during this process, but keep in mind that you’ll then be completing your project with less time.
Your paper should:
- Make an argument, not just report your research
- Be well-organized with a clearly stated thesis that is carried throughout
- Have a clear introduction and conclusion
- Have concise, focused paragraphs with well-though out transitions and clear topic sentences
- Make use of at least 7 different sources (no more than 2 of your 7 sources may be primary texts)
- Include a works cited page in MLA format
- Be typed out in standard 12 point font, double spaced, formatted in MLA style, stapled.
- Be, at minimum, 10-12 pages.
Revised 11.06.12 DMR