write a 1-3 page essay on the ethical principle of Double Effect in the following case scenario.
Suppose that a physician, Dr. Robinson is caring for a patient, Mr. Mills who is suffering from end stage pancreatic cancer. The patient is in so much pain that he can barely speak enough to communicate the level of discomfort. Dr. Robinson considers administering morphine to Mr. Mills’, but feels that there is a reasonable chance that it will shorten Mr. Mills’ lifespan. Should the doctor administer the morphine or not? There are three tasks :
1. Briefly define the ethical principle of Double Effect in your own words, and explain how it applies specifically to this scenario
2. Based on the stated positions of ethicists, briefly identify one argument in favor of administering the drug, and one opposing argument (1-2 paragraphs maximum).
3. Take a position on the issue, and justify that position.
- You will be expected to provide a scholarly basis for your response.
- Your opinions must be justified with evidence from the literature.
- References should be cited properly in the text of your essay (either in parentheses or as footnotes), as well as at the end.
- Please support your discussions with scholarly support (3-5 references). Be sure to properly cite all references.
- Be sure to apply critical thinking skills to the assignment components stated above- especially #3.
- The page length for this assignment should be between 2-3 pages (not counting your title page and references). You should cite at least 3 references for your discussion. Be sure to properly cite all references both within the text (at the end of paraphrased paragraphs) and at the end of your paper. I will grade your paper on your ability to address the assignment criteria listed above with depth and breadth of discussion. I will also critique your writing format (i.e. proper reference citations, spacing, etc.).