You are invited to curate a new exhibit. Write an essay about one or more of the following areas: Photography Exhibit, Humor Exhibit, and Culture Studies Exhibit.
Questions Your Exam (Essay) Should Answer:
1. Describe the purpose of this exhibit.
2. Which theme(s) will you feature in this exhibit? Explain why.
3. Who will you feature in this exhibit? Explain why.
4. What will you feature in this exhibit? Explain why.
5. What is the historical significance of this exhibit?
6. What is the contemporary significance of this exhibit?
7. Explain why this exhibit will appeal to people familiar and unfamiliar with Black culture.
You may not use outside sources, only use the 5. Must have a minimum of four references. You must have a bibliography page and you may use footnotes.
Here are some themes you can use:
Theater: Great Migration, Blues Landscape, Transplant, Blues Impulse, Chicago Defender, Seven Guitars, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Photography: Critical Black Memory, Lynching, Social Movements, Visual Sociology, Documentary Photography, Photojournalism, Exploration, Social Reform, Crusading
Humor: Culturally Intimate Humor, Dual Consciousness, Playing the Dozens, American Ethnic Humor, Melodramatic Imagination, Unrealism
Cultural Studies: Contextualism, Conjuncturalism, Universalism, Political Problematics, Hegemony